Wednesday, May 16, 2007

We Got A New Driveway....

...and it was totally unexpected. A guy came to the door and asked my dad if he could check out our driveway (which was in a sorry state of disrepair) and give us a quote to re-pave it. My dad agreed and the guy quoted $1600 which is pretty cheap for the size of our driveway. Even though Stuart and I own the house now, my parents are still willing to foot the bill for some of the work that really needed doing when they sold it to us (for ridiculously cheap).

They started work right away because the guy's crew was right down the street and ready to go. It was crazy. I got to actually experience a dream since we bought the house which was to shorten the driveway (and at the same time widening it to accommodate two cars side-by-side) and turn the excess length, which runs along the entire south side of the house, into more outdoor living space. So now I have a newly asphalted driveway (not my material of choice but definitely cheaper than concrete) and a big patch of rocky dirt to fill in with topsoil and whatever other materials we decide to put there.
Of course, now we need to come up with the cash to do that work. But I will finally be able to have a small flowering tree or two in my yard.

 Future site of trees and flowers, hopefully...

 This guy kept coming alarmingly close to the porch with the shovel.

I also got to be a lech and take photos of the shirtless crew.

 

I lost some of my front garden to widen the driveway but it is worth it in the extra space I gained on the South side of the house.

The guy in the t-shirt hosing down one of the crew was the boss. He actually is the son of the main boss but he is taking over. He did a job a few doors down on the same day. He was really cute but wore cheesy-looking Italian loafers.

 This is what it looks like now. We will have to truck in a lot of topsoil. Fortunately, we have a pick-up so we should be able to do it ourselves and save money on the delivery fee.

 

 

 

 

No comments: